Sunday 5 June 2011

Have you ever been able to thoroughly change your attitude?

Everyone says attitude is everything, and I agree, but how long can you keep it up? If everyday you are repeating confirmations and putting in effort to be positive, eventually the truth of how you feel about things will come out one way or another, putting you back where you are. I think the only way to change your attitude is to change your situation, then your attitude will change naturally.|||Act fake when needed, problem solved.|||I disagree. You have to honestly put forth effort to change your attitude, and faking it wont cut it because people will see right through it. If you change your attitude then your situation will change naturally.|||Thankfully that%26#039;s not true. Often you can%26#039;t change your situation and even if it can be changed, usually it can%26#039;t be changed right away. It%26#039;s very difficult to change your attitude, especially on things we find unpleasant. One focus of CBT or cognitive behavioral therapy is to get clients to change there schema%26#039;s or world views ie attitudes. It can be done if the person is willing. First find the positives in the situation and grow from there.|||Deeply held attitudes are very difficult to change. In my experience you have to go through some kind of life changing experience. Some examples I can think of are going to college, a tour in the military, marriage or divorce, alcohol or drug problem and recovery, death of a loved one or a near death experience.





More casual attitudes can be changed with patience. For me, acting as if I have the desired attitude eventually stops being an act. For example I used to have a reputation for being a funny guy who told a lot of jokes. I laughed a lot. Over a period of years I drifted away from that for some reason and I laughed less. Then I was reunited with some friends from the old days who commented on the change. I deliberately tried to become a more good natured person. I started listening to jokes and repeating them. In a couple of months, it was natural behavior again and I laugh a lot more now. I have a happier attitude on a day to day basis.|||You can change your attitude if you put the time into it.





But if you end up back to the way you were, then it means you were just faking it the whole time.


It doesn%26#039;t mean that you can%26#039;t fix it by putting in more effort.





You are correct in saying that attitude will change naturally based on the situation. This is based on sub-conscious processing. A forced effort would be more of a conscious approach, potentially faster but more difficult by that as well.